Skip to main content

Movie Review: Third World Romance

Is “love” enough to survive the romance in a third-world realm?

Being happy is simple, but it can’t be for some if the social and economic challenges are on the nose.

You may already see this type of genre in other foreign or local movies/series, but if you’re into good acting and script, Third World Romance is a treat to watch.

Firstly, Charlie Dizon proves her acting prowess once again in this social realist film helmed by Dwein Ruedas Baltazar.

Proceed with caution: Spoilers zone!

Alongside his reel/real partner, Carlo Aquino, both play as blue-collar workers; cashier (Charlie) and grocery bagger (Carlo).

Charlie’s character is Britney Gatmaitan or simply “Bree” whom she has a tight-knit relationship with, is an outspoken lass, then Carlo is Alvin “Vin” Tolentino, who happens to be the laid-back guy.

Fate brings them together where nothing comes in an instant or free and have to work one’s a$$ off to survive.

In a post-pandemic setting, the classic meet-cute is the film’s opening where Bree unconsciously drags Alvin while both are in queue to receive the government’s ayuda (aid) – unfortunately – the ayuda-giving stops because of a sudden downpour.  They chase the vehicle by enlisting the help of a local trike (tricycle) driver and plan to steal the ayuda. For Bree, it’s not stealing because they deserve to receive them as taxpayers and the local government unit seemingly hoards them, too.

More than just a Love/Romance Story

Cut to where Vin helps Bree land a job in a local grocery where he works and is adored by his colleagues and his male supervisor, but exploits the employees’ labor rights. As their romance and connection develop, financial insecurity and anxiety get in Bree’s way later on; affecting his good-natured relationship with Vin. While Vin assures her that he’s her ride-or-die partner, one viral incident happens during their working shifts that tests their love and trust for each other.

Its Social Relevance

What makes this movie gripping is how it shows the harsh reality of those who are on the fringes of society (nasa laylayan ng lipunan) – taken for granted, disadvantaged, and overlooked. Dialogues are punchy and vexing, especially when Bree can’t stomach anymore their supervisor’s lies and deceits when it comes to labor practices.

SHE IS THE MOMENT!

Charlie delivers – from her facial expressions and her soliloquy – so astoundingly good! No wonder she snagged the 2024 Gawad Urian Best Actress award.

Like in her 2020 movie, Fan Girl (she won her first Best Actress in FAMAS and other award-giving bodies), Charlie effortlessly kills in her string of expletives -- I AM SATISFIED! PUTANG INA TALAGA!


I also want to bring up that some of the shots from the film add a riveting experience, and the side characters are a joy to watch.

So…

Let me end this by saying MABUHAY ANG MANGGAGAWANG PILIPINO! F*ck the corrupt system and crooked leaders!

"Para sa mga walang wala na. Para sa mga taong nagpapagaan ng bigat ng kupal na mundong 'to. Para sa ating lahat."

Catch Third World Romance on Netflix.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Silence to Sharing -- My Unconventional Journey and Prioritizing Mental Health

Writing has never been my strong suit. At most times, I grappled with writing slump and the distractions that life unfailingly presents.  But today, before the Year 2023 closes its chapter  (Kathniel yarn? lol),  I'm courageously sharing a piece of my life. A little nervous, but also empowered, as only a few are aware of this.  I used to keep everything inside, but now I'm opening up, and I hope this can help someone else going through a tough time like I did. Life can be tough, especially when you've lost someone, but I want to encourage others to find their strength and keep going, no matter what. STORYTIME:   I had only worked for just  eight months in my former company when they offered me an overseas opportunity during the pandemic's peak. Uncertainty loomed, but my mom's  (BesNay)  contagious enthusiasm encouraged me to step outside my comfort zone. However, life paints a complex picture. I faced the heart-wrenching loss of my mother while I was in a foreign l

Remembering my Tatay...

My Nanay and I went to Himlayan Cemetery to visit my Tatay’s grave in remembering his 14th death anniversary. August 29 is the exact date of Tatay’s death anniversary but due to household chores that Nanay and I usually do every weekend, we decided to visit Tatay the following day (August 30, 2010). Yes, it’s been 14 long years that our Tatay left us due to lung cancer but his presence in our lives still lingers on. I was nine 9 years old when he passed away but the memories I’ve shared with my father are still very vivid and unforgettable. I considered my Nanay as the soft-spoken in our family while my Tatay was the disciplinarian. Though my father has a strong personality, I was never scared of him because I know that in his strong character, a good and loving father is what he really portrayed. I heard a lot of good comments about my father that most of our relatives liked him. They’ve said that my father was well-loved by everybody because of his character. Yes, he’s strict, but

Slumdog Areas: Keeping their faith!

Have you watched Slumdog Millionaire? It's a story of a young boy who grew up in a depressed area in Mumbai, India. When he was young, he didn't bother with all the hatred, negative comments and poverty that surrounded him. Instead, he moved forward and he won a million bucks when he joined the Indian version of "Who wants to be a Millionaire"! Sounds interesting, right? During my college days, we had a subject entitled Program Planning and Building which we gathered information and data in our chosen barangays . We interviewed people from depressed areas about their lives in their slum houses. At first, I was a bit nervous and frigid because my thesis mates kept on teasing who will be the first one to conduct an interview. Because I have a soft spot with the people in slum areas, I decided to be the first one to mingle with them. We asked them about their jobs, families, their cost of living and what are their plans for the future. Some of them were hopeless case