Skip to main content

Writer's block and Thy Brother's Wife

It is a condition where writers whether professional or not, is losing their capabilities to write or produce new work. Maybe they're running out of inspiration, no good topic to discuss with or they might have something to be done beforehand.

Though I'm a so-so writer, I feel that I have this condition because the last post I wrote here was about six months ago (25th EDSA 1 anniversary) already. My birthday had already passed by too but I wasn't able to blog it out because I cannot sum up the words all the things I want to say.

Well with these past months of my blog shut down, I did some pocketbook hopping where I borrowed some books from my mother in their school library. I had just finished reading Thy Brother's Wife by Andrew Greeley and the story was quite okay.

This secular novel is about adultery, incest and sacrilege and Father Andrew (yes, he's a priest for real) was stouthearted enough to divulge all these against-the-church stuff.


The gist of the story was about two brothers named Paul Cronin (the President-to-be) and Sean Cronin, who wanted to be a priest. Their father is Mike Cronin who brought Nora to their home as an orphan child.
When they grow up, Mike chose Nora to marry Paul without knowing that Sean also has romantic feelings towards Nora.

With a more cynical view, Paul ran into politics and was soon into combat for the Korean War. Then came the news that Paul was missing in action. Mike told Sean that if Paul dies, he must leave the seminary and marry Nora.

Sean cannot describe his emotions when his father stated those words. He loved Nora all his life but he's not brave enough to admit it to his family even to Nora. He also cannot renounce his sacred calling that's why Sean was disconcerted with the way things going on.

Then they reached adulthood, Paul married Nora and had three kids. Paul entered politics and became a congressman and he'd also decided to run for the US Senate. He cheated on Nora many times and had a mistress (Nicole Shields). Sean became a priest but his heart beats on two things, his love with Nora and his Christ advocacy.

To cut the story short, Paul died because the yacht he's riding sank on the bay and he was drowned. ( Note: Paul survived the Korean War. There's a reason behind his death. I need to strike off this one so your curiosity runs in! ;p ). Sean was offered to become an Archbishop of Chicago but he's not decided yet. Then Sean proposed to Nora. Though Nora has feelings too for Sean, she turned him down because Nora wanted Sean to continue his profession as a priest.

Sean and Nora's moment:
Sean: Nora, I'm going to resign from the priesthood. I want to marry you. You need a husband. I need a wife. It's time to correct all the mistakes we made 25 years ago.
Nora: I can't. I simply can't. It's impossible.
Sean: Why is it impossible? Don't you love me?
Nora: Of course I loved you, Sean. I always loved you. If you weren't a priest, I'd marry you tomorrow. But you are a priest.

The Apostolic Delegate called Sean and offered once again the position of being an Archbishop of Chicago.

EL FINAL (THE END)...

Comments

archiemb said…
hhmmm very interesting subplot....

welcome back Joeriz!
JORISDICTION said…
^^ Thanks Kuya! I'm a fan of yours when it comes to blogging, seriously! :)

Popular posts from this blog

From Silence to Sharing -- My Unconventional Journey and Prioritizing Mental Health

  Writing has never been my strong suit. At most times, I grappled with writing slump and the distractions that life unfailingly presents.  But today, before the Year 2023 closes its chapter  (Kathniel yarn? lol),  I'm courageously sharing a piece of my life. A little nervous, but also empowered, as only a few are aware of this.  I used to keep everything inside, but now I'm opening up, and I hope this can help someone else going through a tough time like I did. Life can be tough, especially when you've lost someone, but I want to encourage others to find their strength and keep going, no matter what. STORYTIME:   I had only worked for just  eight months in my former company when they offered me an overseas opportunity during the pandemic's peak. Uncertainty loomed, but my mom's  (BesNay)  contagious enthusiasm encouraged me to step outside my comfort zone. However, life paints a complex picture. I faced the heart-wrenching loss of my mother while I was in a foreign

Remembering my Tatay...

My Nanay and I went to Himlayan Cemetery to visit my Tatay’s grave in remembering his 14th death anniversary. August 29 is the exact date of Tatay’s death anniversary but due to household chores that Nanay and I usually do every weekend, we decided to visit Tatay the following day (August 30, 2010). Yes, it’s been 14 long years that our Tatay left us due to lung cancer but his presence in our lives still lingers on. I was nine 9 years old when he passed away but the memories I’ve shared with my father are still very vivid and unforgettable. I considered my Nanay as the soft-spoken in our family while my Tatay was the disciplinarian. Though my father has a strong personality, I was never scared of him because I know that in his strong character, a good and loving father is what he really portrayed. I heard a lot of good comments about my father that most of our relatives liked him. They’ve said that my father was well-loved by everybody because of his character. Yes, he’s strict, but

My Laguna Junket

#LaBoracay and #LaPera are two of the rife hashtags we normally discern with our friends who are enjoying their vacation somewhere or by just simply staying at their home. I usually travel with my friends because I don't need to be fine-tuned as we can be silly and psychedelic at the same time. Everybody loves good company and nobody else can give it to us but our trustworthy pals. I started my 2017 exploring Masungi Georeserve and Mt. Ngusong Kabayo in Rizal . My plan is to write a separate entry for the two and because I'm a self-confessed idler every so often, it will stay as a plan. :p Lately, I'm thinking of going somewhere all by myself and experience what it feels like to be a solo traveler. They say it's quite unsafe especially nowadays where rampant killings (hello, oplan tokhang!) and natural disasters are apparent.  I read different blogs to know safety tips, the pros and cons of traveling solo. As an ambivert type, being with a group or unaided at time