Skip to main content

My Laguna Junket

#LaBoracay and #LaPera are two of the rife hashtags we normally discern with our friends who are enjoying their vacation somewhere or by just simply staying at their home.

I usually travel with my friends because I don't need to be fine-tuned as we can be silly and psychedelic at the same time. Everybody loves good company and nobody else can give it to us but our trustworthy pals. I started my 2017 exploring Masungi Georeserve and Mt. Ngusong Kabayo in Rizal. My plan is to write a separate entry for the two and because I'm a self-confessed idler every so often, it will stay as a plan. :p

Lately, I'm thinking of going somewhere all by myself and experience what it feels like to be a solo traveler. They say it's quite unsafe especially nowadays where rampant killings (hello, oplan tokhang!) and natural disasters are apparent.  I read different blogs to know safety tips, the pros and cons of traveling solo. As an ambivert type, being with a group or unaided at times are up to snuff. I researched places that are near Metro Manila so it will be less hassle to commute. I considered Baguio and Tagaytay but rants about traffic and being human infested, I crossed them out of my list. Moreover, I also have to deem my budget for important things. After all the look through and whatnots, I decided to go to Laguna last long weekend.

I don't have a concrete itinerary and I just wrote everything that I read on different blogs. I just go with the flow and whatever happens, so be it. I packed my things Friday evening and I was bit baffled, unsure if I'll go or not. Que sera sera! I woke up early, dressed simply and arrived past 7 am in HM Bus Terminal- Cubao QC (signboard: Sta Cruz- Laguna). I talked with the middle-aged woman beside me and asked for directions going to Nagcarlan-Liliw. My plan was to visit the farthest up to the nearest, it supposed to be Nagcarlan, Liliw, Pila then Calamba. The travel time was 3-4 hours so I slept a bit but the excitement kept me wide awake throughout the trip. I transferred from the seat I was near to the driver and conductor so I can ask for more directions. I told them where's the Pagsanjan Falls and is it practical to go especially it was past 10 am. They said it's OK but it will consume time as I have to ride a boat before heading to the falls.

After I got off the bus, I rode a jeepney (signboard: Pagsanjan) going to municipal hall or tourism office so I can talk with their officials (may pa-courtesy call, charot!) first before I wander through. Their municipal office was closed on weekends but the tourism office is open. I had a quick chat with the employees and their traffic officer, they were all nice and lent me a guide map.  The Pagsanjan Falls Boatride rate is 1,250php (for boat ride; 920php , lifevest w/c is mandatory; 50php, seat cushion w/c is optional; 30php, and bamboo raft; 250php). I just want to see the falls, I don't want to dip nor to swim. My mindset that time was just for a day tour. As it was sort of an epic fail, this Aleng Taleng's Halo-Halo saved the day. They've been running their business since 1933 and they're famous with the locals and tourists alike.

halo-halo kayo dyan
mga parokyano ni aleng taleng

From Pagsanjan, I was directed to take a jeep to go in Nagcarlan-Liliw and the traveling hour was only 15-30 mins. These other provinces of Laguna are near at hand (one trike away) so it didn't take most of my time exploring both.


the old century church of nagcarlan



bigla ko naalala ang kampanerang kuba :p
The next stop is Nagcarlan Underground Cemetery where you can just walk or ride a trike from Nagcarlan Church.


di ko kasi maabot kaya yan lang ang nakayanang kuha :p
tenants
the main entrance to the chamber
the underground view
say a little prayer

Nagcarlan Underground Cemetery is a historical landmark founded in 1845 as a burial site for Spanish friars and notable families of the city.  It was quite creepy as I was the only one inside but it didn't cease me to admire its uniqueness and solemnity. They also have a small museum if you want to know more about crypt's yesteryear. Today, the cemetery is no longer in use but serves as an open park and attraction for everyone. I stayed a little more minutes before going to Liliw, the tsinelas capital of Laguna.

Liliw is famous for a vast collection of colorful, sturdy and stylish sandals, slippers and shoes proudly made by their locals. Some of my Nanay's sandals were made in Liliw that she bought from her lady suki in Quiapo, Manila where she has a supplier there. Aside from the quality, the prices are super cheap that if you have 500php, you can buy two or three pairs! I was also surprised that on the day of my tour, Liliw is celebrating their Tsinelas Festival. Perfect timing to roam the shops and stalls for cheaper buys!

the baroque-style church of st john the baptist parish

hello liliw friends :p
liliw peeps

I haven't taken many pictures of Liliw products as I was enjoying the feast and talking to the locals at the same time. May balak kasi ako tumakbong ministro sa kanila! :p Liliw is also famous for its old and ancestral houses along San Juan and Rizal streets. Some of them turned into restaurants like White House Bistro that offers Asian and Western cuisine.

Look!






I enjoyed Liliw so much that I forgot I also have two other cities to visit such as Pila and Calamba. I'll just visit them some other time, it might be another solo travel, with my friends or new people. The Tsinelas Festival made my Laguna trip extra amazing and given a chance, I would love to go back! Looking forward to more travels and getting out of my comfort zone!

"my spirit gets nourished in faraway places"

(Note: Images of this blog entry are all mine. Credits are properly given for pictures I don't own!)
Camera used: Nikon Coolpix 300


Comments

Anonymous said…
I really love your trip it’s was amazing 😍

Popular posts from this blog

From Silence to Sharing -- My Unconventional Journey and Prioritizing Mental Health

  Writing has never been my strong suit. At most times, I grappled with writing slump and the distractions that life unfailingly presents.  But today, before the Year 2023 closes its chapter  (Kathniel yarn? lol),  I'm courageously sharing a piece of my life. A little nervous, but also empowered, as only a few are aware of this.  I used to keep everything inside, but now I'm opening up, and I hope this can help someone else going through a tough time like I did. Life can be tough, especially when you've lost someone, but I want to encourage others to find their strength and keep going, no matter what. STORYTIME:   I had only worked for just  eight months in my former company when they offered me an overseas opportunity during the pandemic's peak. Uncertainty loomed, but my mom's  (BesNay)  contagious enthusiasm encouraged me to step outside my comfort zone. However, life paints a complex picture. I faced the heart-wrenching loss of my mother while I was in a foreign

Remembering my Tatay...

My Nanay and I went to Himlayan Cemetery to visit my Tatay’s grave in remembering his 14th death anniversary. August 29 is the exact date of Tatay’s death anniversary but due to household chores that Nanay and I usually do every weekend, we decided to visit Tatay the following day (August 30, 2010). Yes, it’s been 14 long years that our Tatay left us due to lung cancer but his presence in our lives still lingers on. I was nine 9 years old when he passed away but the memories I’ve shared with my father are still very vivid and unforgettable. I considered my Nanay as the soft-spoken in our family while my Tatay was the disciplinarian. Though my father has a strong personality, I was never scared of him because I know that in his strong character, a good and loving father is what he really portrayed. I heard a lot of good comments about my father that most of our relatives liked him. They’ve said that my father was well-loved by everybody because of his character. Yes, he’s strict, but

Ready, Set and GO!

(Image Credits: http://uniqueyenmei.blogspot.com ) We are now in the last week of January 2011 and finally, I'll be writing my new post for this Year of the Metal Rabbit. How's your new year, guys? I know it's a little bit of late in greeting you all only this time, but hey! It's still the new year, anyway!  Well, my celebration of the new year was pretty awesome because I had the chance to goofed and played along with my family, cousins and other relatives. I must say that celebrating the new year is one of the best occasion we have because this is the season that we reminisced on all the things we've done in the past year and at the same time hoping for the best next year to come. As of press time, a lot of things are juggling in my mind right now just like what will be my future holds this 2011, my soon-to-be decisions and above all, how can I handle pressures and other surprises that will surely come along the way? Then I look back in 2010 and realized tha